Saturday, November 7, 2009

Book Challenge Update

I found out that I have been "cleared" by the challenge committee. They recognize that I followed the district selection process, but not heard anything about what they will do with the book. The title is "Kurt Cobain," a biography by Michael Martin. I selected it specifically with the (Spring) fifth grade biography project in mind. It is a 4.3 reading level and a 5-8 interest level. My thought was to find something for the student who reads below grade level, will not be interested in the more traditional biographies and may have heard of Kurt Cobain. I purchased a wide variety of musicians - this was one of them.

The issue began because I had just taught third graders how to use the search stations with keyword searches. A third grader typed in "guitar" and this book came up. He found it and checked it out. Mom and dad took issue with the book because it is begins with a sort of obituary. Over all is "negative," and talks a lot about his addiction to drugs and that he was never able to get out of that. I agree that it is heavy for third grade, and I think it is great that mom and dad read the book with the child and talked through it, but stand by my decision that it is a good choice for the population I was targeting. We will see :)

I am completely impressed with the way the school district is handling the challenge.



Thanks for stopping by. Why not sign up with the rss feed and be notified when this blog is updated?

No comments: