Monday, November 17, 2008

Tighter Focus?!

Today, I miss having an Interrobang (!?). Whomever decided to drop it from the readily available punctuation options

I was listening/reading to a session from the Not K12 Online 2008 Conference and a speaker referred to good blog design. As is the norm for me, my interest was peaked and I immediately jumped over to look at the article: Weblog Usability: The Top Ten Design Mistakes by Jakob Nielson. Even though it is from 2005, the points he makes about blog readability and design are timeless and worth reading; however, I have a small problem with No 8, called Mixing Topics. Nielson says "The more focused your content, the more focused your readers. That, again, makes you more influential within your niche."
I guess the assumption is that one wants to be "influential in my niche?!" Just so you know, this blog is about the day-to-day life in Book's nook. There is no tight focus. My life is all over the board and so is this blog. While I know several people who have more than one personal blog, most do not keep them up on a regular basis. I personally, would rather read a blog that is updated regularly and may have a personal rant thrown in, than have to follow four blogs from the same person.

No comments: